Thursday, October 29, 2009

Make your own Halloween costumes - a Family Tradition




Quick and easy halloween costumes ideas are just in your clothes closets. I looked around the house and found an old red hoodie that I had and I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a few packages of white fake fur in the craft dept. I cut the strips of white fake fur into 2" strips and sewed them together to make long strips. I took the long strips pinned and sewed the strips around the bottom of the hoodie, the neckline and hood, the centre front strip of hoodie, as well as the bottom of the sleeves as in the picture of my husband.


We went to Value Village and picked up a dark wide belt and a pair of dark green fleece pants. We also found some green hands at Value Village under $10 that went well with the costume. I was able to find a Grinch mask online and ordered it.


My costume was a free cape without a hood that someone gave to me. I preferred to have a hood so I got a scrap piece of lace fabric 20" x 35" and sewed a gathering stitch to the bottom and pinned and sewed it to the cape collar. Then I sewed up the sides to create a quick and easy hood.



I went into my clothes closet and found a black skirt and a black blouse and wore it under my black cape. The long haired wig I picked up at Value Village for under $10 years ago.



The dog's collar I purchased at Dollorama for $1.00


None of our costumes cost much. All you need to do is look around your house first and see what you have available.


If you have 1 meter of black fabric you can look online to find an easy pattern to make a cape or take an old skirt that doesn't fit you any more and cut it diagonally down the front and centre of the skirt and sew on two ties close at the neck or use an old big broach to hold it together at the neck. I made a wise man cape this way from an old velvet skirt and it looks great.


If you can't sew or don't have much time get your old glue gun out and glue the fake fur onto the hoodie, embelishments, etc onto your costumes. You don't need to wash the costume anyways as you only need the costume once a year for Halloween and then it goes back into the closet for next year.


Look around your house and see what you can find and you can transform almost any of your old clothing into some fun and easy costumes. You can use your scissors too just cut away the fabric to make the clothing item look like what you want it too. The sky's the limit! Good luck at making some quick, easy and fun inexpensive costumes.


by Queenie1

No comments: